IrishBirding.com was initially launched back in 2000 to provide a nationwide web resource for birders in Ireland. With its comprehensive selection of features it provided bird news,photographs and topical articles of interest to Irish birders. As a forum for birders to publish news of sightings and rarity-photographs it proved to be highly popular and received widespread support from Irish birders and visiting birders from abroad.
At the end of 2005 other commitments and an imminent move abroad forced the original web master, Eugene Archer, to devote less time to the site but thankfully Joe Doolan acquired the rights to Irishbirding.com in 2007. It is now being relaunched in a new and much improved format. Created by professional web designers and utilising the latest web technology Irisbirding.com is now the most dynamic and interactive web resource available to birders in Ireland.
So, whats changed?
- As soon as news breaks the system will be updated. Up-to-the-minute Irish bird sightings, major UK and European news.
- Irishbirding.com is now a fully searchable database, with details of all current sighting of rare and scarce birds in Ireland.
- The Grapevine. The first and only free text based news service for Irish birders.
- Free e-mail alerts to your phone and or your computer.
- Photographers can upload their own photographs (subject to certain terms and conditions).
- Features an up-to-date Irish list.
The Final, and by far the most important element in the success of Irishbirding is your support. The new team at Irishbirding.com intend to operate this site in perpetuity and to continue to improve its functionality and features so that birdwatchers now and in the future can have access to a huge amount of bird-related information,news,photographs and feature articles . . . all free of charge.
We hope you enjoy it and we look forward to your support.
Joe Doolan & Eugene Archer